dragons-logoBRUNSWICK – Sometimes it can feel like all of the effort in the world is getting you nowhere. When that happens frustration tends to set in and get the best of you.

That’s what happened to the Mt. Ararat Eagles in a 7-1 loss against the Brunswick Dragons in Class A schoolboy hockey at the Sid Watson Arena.

Brunswick’s Blake Alexander pitched a shutout through two periods, stopping each of the five shots he faced. Joe Coulombe played the final frame and surrendered a goal, on seven shots faced, with 1:03 remaining in the game. Coulombe stopped a penalty shot from Steven Schuman just four seconds before the Eagles’ goal.

Mt Ararat’s Bru Abreu’s shot from the point dipped on Coulombe to spoil the team shutout. Ben Bishop assisted on the lone Eagles goal.

“They’re a much older team than us,” said Mt Ararat Head Coach Mike Bishop. “We’ve got to be on top of our game to stay with them.”

The game got very chippy in the second and the Eagles often found themselves shorthanded. They did quite well killing penalties, including two full minutes of a two-man disadvantage, only surrendering one power play goal – the seventh Dragon goal – but the frequent trips to the box killed any momentum and ensured the Eagles’ demise.

“You play a good team, you can’t do that,” said Bishop of the penalties. “On our best nights we’re going to have our hands full, and we’ve got to use the emotion in the right way because, if you don’t, what could be a close game will end up getting right out of hand on you.”

Brunswick opened the scoring 3:41 into the game when Jacob Parent tapped in a rebound past Kyle Welsh. Tyler Sullivan and Cam Heatley assisted the goal.

Just 36 seconds later, Matt Brooks scored off a beautiful individual rush, deking past defenders and roofing the puck glove side for the 2-0 lead.

Jacob McGowan picked up the first of his four points while closing out the first when he tapped in a rebound at 12:36. Brooks picked up the assist.

The middle frame found Brunswick picking up where they left off when Ryan Maciejewski put the puck by Welsh just 56 seconds in. McGowan assisted on the 4-0 lead.

At 6:31 the Dragons scored two quick goals from Heatley and Jameson Cyr. McGowan and Maciejewski notched assists on both of the goals.

Heatley closed out Brunswick’s scoring at 9:50 of the second after he put his own rebound by Welsh for the 7-0 lead. Rudy Dumont assisted the play.

Mt Ararat pushed back in the third, outshooting Brunswick 6-5, but it was too little too late.

The loss pushes Mt Ararat ‘s record under .500, 3-4-1. The Dragons even up their record and now stand at 4-4-0.

The Eagles can take this game and learn that sometimes it seems effort gets you nowhere, but if you’re patient and play the right way, things tend to work out a whole lot better for you.

“I’ve been here for three years and the first year there was another game like this that I thought was going to get out of hand and it didn’t,” said Coach Bishop. “We kept our composure and stayed right with them. We lost the game but we made a good game out of it.  Tonight, we didn’t.”

(copied from MaineHockeyJournal.com written by Katie Westrum)